After the outrage resulting from the July slaughter of 400 Canadian geese, Prospect Park officials are trying to find more humane ways to get rid of the birds, reports the NY Times’ City Room blog.
- Establishing a No-Feed Zone around the lake
- Oiling the goose eggs so they don’t hatch
- Bringing in border collies to scare away the geese
- Planting tall reeds around the lake (geese prefer open lawns with short grass)
- Finding a certain number of geese that would be sustainable for the park
I’m not sure those sound that much less cruel to me…